My commercial software.
My freeware utility programs.
My tabletop RPGs.
The Mystic Dungeon BBS
My '80s-style bulletin board and doorgame.
The future is
- Starred Posts
- See the Categories list to the right for specific topics
- Last 10 Posts:
- Brent EOLs Mojave NetNewsWire OK, not EOL yet, but soon. Long before any rational person would switch to an untested, incompatible new OS version. Among other things, anyone using Adobe software can't go to Catalina. The policy I like is to support the last two or three major OS releases. There are good techniques in … Continue reading "OS Compatibility and the Web"Read More »
- A new Square Enix game, the first thing under Apple Arcade that's interested me. So this isn't quite a normal RPG, it's more of an adventurer's life simulator. You answer a few questions to get a starting role, and are quickly rushed through meeting 3 NPCs who will be your main party for a while; … Continue reading "What I'm Playing: Various Daylife"Read More »
- Don't be fooled by the title, the El Camino barely appears in this movie, and it teaches you nothing about the history and operation of the hybrid car-truck. Instead, we have a lot of flashbacks and added scenes for a show called Breaking Bad which was a popular show about a science teacher like Mr … Continue reading "What I'm Watching: El Camino"Read More »
- Learning to Flinch (live), by Warren Zevon Live at CBGB 1977, by Dead Boys Evilive (live), by The Misfits Only the Dead Know Brooklyn, by The Shirts Don't want to wake up with no one beside me Don't want to take up with nobody new Don't want nobody coming by without calling first Don't want … Continue reading "The Dead Live On Saturday Music"Read More »
- Catalina Mail data loss I'm sure there's a hundred other pitfalls waiting. Anyone "upgrading" to Catalina on their main work Mac before at least a year is a lunatic. Half the software you use hasn't been tested on that, lazy devs will only now even be putting it on a second machine. You're a long … Continue reading "Wait to Visit Catalina"Read More »
- What Your Favorite Classic Rock Band Says About You, part 1 Black Sabbath: Your greatest joy is painting in unventilated rooms. David Bowie: There is still, somewhere, a Dig Dug or Zaxxon machine with your high score on it. Mott the Hoople: You are David Bowie. Rush: You carry a small flashlight everywhere, and use … Continue reading "McSweeney's Classic Wednesday Music"Read More »
- This might be the dumbest film I've ever seen. I've seen every real MST3K (up through Pearl, not the boring new loser), and even Red Zone Cuba or Beast of Yucca Flats aren't this dumb. Written by Stephen King & Joe Hill (his son), so I had some hope. But hours, years later, no, all … Continue reading "What I'm Watching: In the Tall Grass"Read More »
- I love zsh, but sometimes it's a tough love. Building command lines in strings is very hard because zsh doesn't want you hurting yourself on argument splitting like bash, so I just banged my head on that for like 15 minutes before I quit being dumb. Building them in arrays is super trivial: % a=(args … Continue reading "Building Command Lines in zsh"Read More »
- About half the AHS seasons are good, the other half are total trash. Hotel was fun. Roanoke annoyed me with yet another haunted house story. Cult had two of the most pathetic protagonists ever—by the second ep I wanted both dead just to end the fucking series—clowns, and a political story I had no interest … Continue reading "What I'm Not Watching: American Horror Story: Apocalypse"Read More »
- BBEdit 13 detailed release notes: And when BareBones says "detailed"… The "Pattern Playground" Added the Grep Cheat Sheet. I've been doing regexp for 35 years, and still don't remember every pattern (especially all the ?= stuff). So what chance do normal people have? BBEdit allows you to make rectangular selections in documents for which "Soft … Continue reading "BBEdit 13"Read More »