Some mechanical music, mostly more optimistic than usual. Got a long week ahead, try to make it thru.
Month: August 2021
The Death of iTunes
So, I was listening to my last playlist, and realized I don’t own one of the albums, so I figure I’ll grab it off iTunes…
No iTunes app. No “show in iTune Store” action on the album page (Share has since shown back up, because Apple Music is non-deterministic). There’s an iTunes Store on my phone, but I want to download it here on my desktop. Fine, where’s the store page. It’s… missing. After some duck searches, turns out you have to open Apple Music Preferences, check “iTunes Store” in a little grid. I didn’t deselect this, it came deselected, meaning NOBODY is going to see it.
Once that’s done, Store is back in the sidebar, and clicking it shows the good old storefront, account links, etc. But how do you search? Search box just shows Apple Music (streaming). WAAAAAY up in the top-right corner is a selector for Songs or Store. Now I’m on the album. And it’s $8.99. Yeah, there’s no DRM, but you know, I can get this elsewhere.
So I went over to ‘zon and bought a used CD (a little cheaper), because I can rip that lossless. At least they want my money.
And like that, with no announcement, Apple killed their store.
Machines That Don’t Work Thursday Music
We had some good machines
But they don’t work no more
I loved you once
Don’t love you anymore
—Shriekback, Faded Flowers
- Faded Flowers, by Shriekback: SUPER annoying, album Oil & Gold isn’t on any streaming site now. But you should get it, by raising the black flag & slitting throats if necessary.
- Intro & Nemesis, by Shriekback: Everybody happy as the dead come home.
- Sacred City, by Shriekback: And fucking iTunes^W “native” Apple Music today isn’t giving me share links, so I had to find them on the web version. NOTHING WORKS.
- Machines of Loving Grace
- Savage (songs from a broken world), by Gary Numan
- Intruder, by Gary Numan
- Initial Command, by Front Line Assembly
Rick & Morty Season 5
Up to now, the long long wait for R&M S05 has been not worth it at all. I’m not quite at /r/rickandmorty levels of hate, but it’s been pretty disappointing, like all the crap filler eps of past seasons put in one season. But E08 finally redeemed itself.
- “Mort Dinner Rick Andre”: Good villain, plot’s a tedious farce.
- “Mortyplicity”: Random nonsense ep, without the fun range of activities of Interdimensional Cable.
- “A Rickconvenient Mort”: I love Captain Planet and parodies of him, but both Robot Chicken and Don Cheadle already did this better, Planetina is squicky, Rick & Summer’s interstellar fuck tour is gross.
- “Rickdependence Spray”: Giant sperm, not too bad. There’s some SF short story I read where the first male interstellar astronauts turn into giant sperm and impregnate a planet (the female astronauts are unaffected?), and this is less nonsense than that.
- “Amortycan Grickfitti”: Hellraiser parody doesn’t understand the point of Hellraiser (in Clive Barker’s book & the first movie, they aren’t “bad is good baby!”, they’re “we’ve done all the good stuff forever, we can only feel anything from the bad now”); new kid’s crap, but AI car gets to do some weird stuff. Like 5-10 minutes of good stuff in the ep.
- “Rick & Morty’s Thanksploitation Spectacular”: Great premise, but Thanksgiving isn’t for 3 months, assholes. Totally misses the mood.
- “Gotron Jerrysis Rickvangelion”: Too much Voltron, not enough NGE. They should’ve had Rick as Gendo, Morty as whiny Shinji, Summer as Asuka, Beth clones as Rei & the Mommy robot, it would’ve made sense and been deep. Instead it’s just robot ferrets & bugs.
- “Rickternal Friendshine of the Spotless Mort”: First actual good episode in a very long time. Bird Person’s memories of enthusiastic young adult Rick are hilarious, and kind of terrible in the way, you know, my own might be, or yours.
World Enough and Bandcamp Friday Music
New InfoSoc! And Bandcamp gives all money to the artist on Friday, so today’s the day to buy it.