Up to now, the long long wait for R&M S05 has been not worth it at all. I’m not quite at /r/rickandmorty levels of hate, but it’s been pretty disappointing, like all the crap filler eps of past seasons put in one season. But E08 finally redeemed itself.
- “Mort Dinner Rick Andre”: Good villain, plot’s a tedious farce.
- “Mortyplicity”: Random nonsense ep, without the fun range of activities of Interdimensional Cable.
- “A Rickconvenient Mort”: I love Captain Planet and parodies of him, but both Robot Chicken and Don Cheadle already did this better, Planetina is squicky, Rick & Summer’s interstellar fuck tour is gross.
- “Rickdependence Spray”: Giant sperm, not too bad. There’s some SF short story I read where the first male interstellar astronauts turn into giant sperm and impregnate a planet (the female astronauts are unaffected?), and this is less nonsense than that.
- “Amortycan Grickfitti”: Hellraiser parody doesn’t understand the point of Hellraiser (in Clive Barker’s book & the first movie, they aren’t “bad is good baby!”, they’re “we’ve done all the good stuff forever, we can only feel anything from the bad now”); new kid’s crap, but AI car gets to do some weird stuff. Like 5-10 minutes of good stuff in the ep.
- “Rick & Morty’s Thanksploitation Spectacular”: Great premise, but Thanksgiving isn’t for 3 months, assholes. Totally misses the mood.
- “Gotron Jerrysis Rickvangelion”: Too much Voltron, not enough NGE. They should’ve had Rick as Gendo, Morty as whiny Shinji, Summer as Asuka, Beth clones as Rei & the Mommy robot, it would’ve made sense and been deep. Instead it’s just robot ferrets & bugs.
- “Rickternal Friendshine of the Spotless Mort”: First actual good episode in a very long time. Bird Person’s memories of enthusiastic young adult Rick are hilarious, and kind of terrible in the way, you know, my own might be, or yours.