Hey, it’s a new and slightly more usable build (still Mac only) of the Haunted Dungeon! You can now use all the weapons & armor, eat & drink food & potions, might even make it down to floor 2 or 3!
Up in the next few days:
- Tossing out items. I need to write a new event mode for selecting it, so I didn’t feel like it today.
- Levelling up. Right now you’re doomed because you can’t heal except by food & potions; or improve, except by very rare (and a long ways down) stat potions.
- Start getting the actual story into the game. But only the first hints will be in the upper levels, since you can’t get far anyway.
- Main release on Halloween!
Probably next month:
- Backpack for storing more items. One of the premises of this game is every item’s a singleton, there’s no stacking. So every item must be useful by itself, and item slot management is hard.
- Ranged weapons have range.
- Magic spells.
- Elemental effects. It’s already true that hitting some monsters with sharp or blunt weapons is better, but there’s many more interactions when magic gets involved.
- Much more dungeon dressing, I’m using Vexed’s Demonic Dungeon art for that late-’80s, hi-res but low color count effect.
I’d love to get some feedback if it actually works on everyone’s machine, because I’m doing some weird tricks to make it launch. As noted on itch, if it doesn’t launch, or crashes, try looking at
~/Documents/haunted-dungeon.log, email me with that file.
The game’s written in Scheme, running on Chez Scheme, with SDL2 from Thunderchez. Then I have an excessively complex Scheme script that compiles it, and builds a .app structure for Mac, and should also make Linux & Windows builds on those platforms (or in a VM, which is how I do it); been a while since I tried those, but once this is solid I’ll include those.
I normally discuss ongoing projects on fediverse, @firstname.lastname@example.org