Note: Currently down for maintenance/update. Check with me on fediverse for latest.
top | doorgame | latest news
The Dungeon is back as The Mystic Dungeon BBS!
Back in the Elder Days of the ’80s, I ran a tiny BBS run from an Atari 800, then from an Atari ST, called The Dungeon. We did some play-by-post RPGs, had a few doorgames, a few message boards.
The new Mystic Dungeon is running MysticBBS on a VPS, it’s over the Internet not a single phone line, but it’ll do the same things!
telnet mysticdungeon.club 1666
(soon I’ll have a proper domain, and SSL cert so you can
ssh host 2666)
Set your terminal for black background, 80×25, and UTF-8 (I dunno what it’ll do to DOS CP437, but everything’s Unicode now).
If your Mac doesn’t ship with a telnet anymore, you can grab the previous OS’s one from a backup, or
sudo port install inetutils
and then use gtelnet.
Of course visit the Doors to try the Mystic Dungeon doorgame!
- Innkeeper for resting
- Merchant for buying equipment and standard consumables
- Alchemist for buying potions
- Banker for saving money between deaths
- Guards for directions
- Prince for handing out quests
- Dungeon: Stairs are to the southeast of town, just follow the trail.
- 8 Levels
- 24 Monster Species
- Run away
- Arcane & Divine spells up to level 3 so far!
- Guards give useful directions.
- Questgivers (like the Prince) give out quests!
- ‘spellbook’ lists all available spells.
- ‘cast SPELL’ casts a spell! Spells level 1-3 are implemented.
- ‘who’ lists players by experience.
- Alchemists sell several kinds of potions.
- POISONED and PARALYZED conditions.
- ‘help monsters’
- Bashed open some Floor 1 doors for easier exploration.
- Consumables can be used! Rations and lights.
- Line of sight improved.
- Map can be displayed (only while still on that floor).
- Hidden chests, traps, and monsters! Shopping for lockpicks!
- Run away command!
- Public release of The Mystic Dungeon BBS
- Merchant, equip, drop items.
- Innkeeper and Banker.
- Exploration and combat functional.
- Began project!
7 thoughts on “BBS”
Comments are closed.