"If you cancel again, it might look like you don't know what you're doing."
"We know, Abby, we're bad at everything because we're your parents."
"No, it's because prior to this, you led a mindlessly happy suburban existence, which left you fundamentally unprepared to deal with the life-and-death decisions that now plague your every waking moment."
—Santa Clarita Diet S2E4
Sanctimonious assholes. This is now a real thing, chat AIs that spam you when you speak naughty words/thoughtcrime.
I can't actually tell anymore if people are implementing the worst ideas of the worst fictional dystopias intentionally or purely by coincidence.
Oh, sure, I have backups. Secure backups. How secure? This secure
It's not listed in my 1password, and it's not any current or recent device password. SO… boned.
Captain's Log, Stardate Whisky Times. Giving the crew shore leave on McClelland's Planet for the night.
Even as people catch up with me and deletefacebook; and the ongoing dumpster–nay, all of New Jersey—on fire of Twitter; there are still quislings or dupes of the ad companies who think centralized "social media" was a good idea.
- They want all their interactions mediated by one authority. Petty convenience beats security and self-determination.
- They never understood RSS and didn't take the 15 minutes to read about it and get an RSS reader, preferring instead to spend that time looking at cat pictures and arguing about blue/gold dresses.
- They don't want or understand having control of a domain and their own identity, so whoever squatted on @xxx first gets that name forever. Unless the platform owner steals it for someone more profitable.
- They don't have/express opinions other than Party Orthodoxy, so have no reason to fear the Special Ban Police showing up in the night to take away their posts and social connections. And they haven't yet realized that the Party and Orthodoxy changes, but the police never do.
- They want to make sure people they don't like, can't read the content they put in a public place to be indexed by Google, Facebook, and other ad companies. Unless the thought-criminal signs out or makes a bullshit account, circumventing their block.
- Is this about you?
Why is my coleslaw "Star Wars" branded? What possible advertising synergy is there between these?! "Luke, I am your father, and you need salads to stay regular!"