- '90s Rock Essentials playlist: Skip all the Nirvana; as I've often said, the average quality of music in the world doubled the day Kurt solved his headache problem. While I like Santana, Smooth (featuring Rob Thomas) really doesn't fit in this list, nor does some of the electronica. Otherwise very nice.
- Nude & Rude: The Best of Iggy Pop: Iggy's best work was first done in the '70s, but his '90s comeback is when he finally burned away all soft kindness in himself and just rocked the fuck out.
- This is the Day… This is the Hour… This is This…, by Pop Will Eat Itself: The album that got me ready for a brave new world.
- Pretty Hate Machine, by Nine Inch Nails: How I felt about that world.
- Smells Like Children, by Marilyn Manson: Nihilistic response after a couple years living in that shit.
- Warheads on Foreheads, by Megadeth: Greatest hits, we all have every Megadeth album, right? But nice as a playlist.
Brother will kill brother
Spilling blood across the land
Killing for religion
Something I don't understand
—"Holy Wars… The Punishment Due"
- The Hacker/The Act, by Clock/DVA
- Buried Dreams, by Clock/DVA
- Collective, by Clock/DVA
- Post-Sign, by Clock/DVA
- Clock 2, by Clock/DVA
- Resolution, by Android Lust
- Evolution, by Android Lust
- The Dividing, by Android Lust
- Stripped & Stitched, by Android Lust
Brought on by MySpace losing all music uploads. My page was always just Clock/DVA and Android Lust rips.
Hell yeah. I grew up with some of my favorite comics being ROM Spaceknight, Nova, Rocket Raccoon, Adam Warlock (in Marvel Presents, I think?), and so on… the Marvel space series were so much better than their ground superheroes. While the films are a little trashy, they're fun trash, and the music was just awesome.
But then some Nazis doxxed Gunn and Disney was like "I'm shocked, shocked I say, to discover that the writer of Tromeo & Juliet makes dirty jokes!", but happily have seen sense since everyone involved wanted him back.
So here's the music again:
- You Don't Mess Around with Jim, by Jim Croce
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim
- Home Free, by Dan Fogelberg
- Souvenirs, by Dan Fogelberg
- Sweet Baby James, by James Taylor
- Crosby, Stills & Nash
- CSN, by Crosby, Stills & Nash
Time to code like it's 1985, all fucked up on soda1 and listening to movie soundtracks:
- TRON soundtrack, by Wendy Carlos & Journey
- Real Genius soundtrack
- Heavy Metal soundtrack
- Lost Boys soundtrack
- St Elmo's Fire soundtrack
- Pretty in Pink soundtrack
- Breakfast Club soundtrack
- 1985, by Bowling for Soup
- Pepsi, which is now ugh. I also drank (still do) very strong tea, just steep breakfast tea until it's undrinkable, then drink. I didn't switch to coffee, Jolt, and Coke until college. ↩
It's super rare to hear a new-to-me band (duo) that just plays good rock 'n roll/rockabilly, and their video/stage act is astounding, like David Byrne all over again:
- Boom Babba Do Ba Dabba (video), by PowerSolo
- Got No Fear (video), by PowerSolo
- Tornado (video), by PowerSolo
- Frantic (video), by PowerSolo
- It's Raceday, by PowerSolo
- Egg, by PowerSolo
- Bloodskinbones, by PowerSolo
- Buzzhuman, by PowerSolo
- The Real Sound, by PowerSolo
- Bo Peep, by PowerSolo