Gonna look thru the new blues section in Apple Music, see what’s good. I don’t vouch for any of these yet, will update with notes.
- Strange Angels, in Flight with Elmore James: Tribute album, so far impressed by Tom Jones (rather surprisingly) and Deborah Bonham, but a variety of covers.
- Black Coffee, by Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa: Up through title track’s good blues-rock, but then their version of Lullaby of the Leaves is great, guitar wailing and girl screaming hurt out from her gut.
- Charmed & Dangerous, by Altered Five Blues Band: New but not exceptional songs, guitar’s better than singing or songwriting, mostly, but On My List to Quit is a fine song.
- Californisoul, by Super Sonic Blues Machine: Kind of a mess of blues, funk, and latin. Bar-band quality, certainly wouldn’t buy an album but acceptable background music.
- The Sherman Holmes Project
- Good Morning Midnight, by Scott Ellison
- Stompin’ Ground, by Tommy Castro