So the playlist:
- Buy Contortions, by James Chance & The Contortions
- 8-Eyed Spy, by Lydia Lunch: Here's the "Diddy Wah Diddy" Lester's referencing. I've heard a lot of Lydia Lunch on various compilations, never really heard a whole album.
- Blank Generation, by Richard Hell & the Voidoids
- Old Wives Tale, by Exene Cervenka: Exene made a spoken-word poetry jam album with Lydia Lunch, which I can't find, this is more of a "real" album I think?
- Reggatta de Blanc, by The Police: The culmination of Lester's theory, inarguably the greatest band of all time.
So I was thinking about Lester Bangs, who basically taught me how to write with his reviews (which explains a lot, you know? I had higher ambitions but some rambling reviews with moments of clarity and profanity are what I can manage), then remembered Bruce Sterling wrote an alt-history biography "Dori Bangs" about him and Dori Seda hooking up, reread it. Fucking fantastic and a little heartbreaking, highly recommend it.