Captain's Log, Stardate Whisky Times. Giving the crew shore leave on McClelland's Planet for the night.
Even as people catch up with me and deletefacebook; and the ongoing dumpster–nay, all of New Jersey—on fire of Twitter; there are still quislings or dupes of the ad companies who think centralized "social media" was a good idea.
- They want all their interactions mediated by one authority. Petty convenience beats security and self-determination.
- They never understood RSS and didn't take the 15 minutes to read about it and get an RSS reader, preferring instead to spend that time looking at cat pictures and arguing about blue/gold dresses.
- They don't want or understand having control of a domain and their own identity, so whoever squatted on @xxx first gets that name forever. Unless the platform owner steals it for someone more profitable.
- They don't have/express opinions other than Party Orthodoxy, so have no reason to fear the Special Ban Police showing up in the night to take away their posts and social connections. And they haven't yet realized that the Party and Orthodoxy changes, but the police never do.
- They want to make sure people they don't like, can't read the content they put in a public place to be indexed by Google, Facebook, and other ad companies. Unless the thought-criminal signs out or makes a bullshit account, circumventing their block.
- Is this about you?
Why is my coleslaw "Star Wars" branded? What possible advertising synergy is there between these?! "Luke, I am your father, and you need salads to stay regular!"
iTunes movie store "Classics Just Added": Ace Ventura, Dreamgirls, Lawnmower Man, Donnie Darko. Which, admittedly, were all made before Kids Today™ were born. But Blades of Glory (2007)?!
Yes, gen-most-important-ever, you invented protests and they change the world, which is why the '60s flower power protests ended all war, and '80s protests ended Apartheid (not the sanctions and Nelson Mandela's followers), and '90s-'00s protests ended global trade. 🙄
My parent was upset I didn't get text messages… which were being sent as SMS to email, vzw000991.text files going straight to junk. Blame Apple's shitty Contacts UI. So then I explained blue vs green bubbles as simply as possible.
Is there a better tech note/post on the topic?
Socially awkward people uni…te… stand quietly in corners not making eye contact and looking at our phones. 🤓
I revived & updated an old JS tech demo and I'm starting to add tools (and very trivial games, if I feel nostalgic).
I wrote the first version of this in BASIC back around 1980-2, and I've been using my Python version with more tools, but this is prettier.